BYOB INC

Bringing you Bacon and BS since 2002

Friday, January 13, 2012

Mori Girl 30 day Challenge

I came across this list earlier in my Mori Kei adventure, and I figured I would share my answers with you a few at a time.

1- naturally, our first question is how did you get into mori girl?

I had always had some objective opinions about what I really am, parents call me an imp, little kids call me a fairy, kids my age call me a hippie. I got interested with Japanese Harauku Fashion in high school and when I got my first Ipod touch got Kawaii Magazine. I bought the Harajuku issue knowing about Lolita and Rocker/Visual Kei, and I found mori girl and liked certain elements. A few months ago I became a fanatic of “Tiny Owl Knits” created by a singer in the Indigo Girls and through crazy looking up I refound a love for the look. I did some research and started collecting yarn to make some things for my store.

2- Who is/are your mori girl idols? who inspires your fashion?

Mostly Stephanie Dosen from Tiny Owl Knits and Natalie from Vanillery Garden. I love everything Stephanie makes and Natalie has really been helping me work out the kinks of the Mori Fashion.

3- Have you ever lived in a rural environment? if you have, do you think it influenced your mori-ness? if you never have, do you think living in a suburban or urban environment influenced your style any?

I visited rural frequently, but I spent a lot of my life as a city dweller. Austinite always means plenty of hippies and hipsters for me. Considering the pride Austin takes in how natural it is, I think its only customary for me to celebrate it by being a mori girl.

4- name 5 things you love about mori girl.

1. The relaxed feel of it, it is less about making yourself look pretty through artificial means and more about comfort and emphasizing natural beauty.
2. The fun that comes with combining textures. Its like a puzzle, but it is possible to have more than one texture and fabric and for it to look good.
3. The fact that if I don’t have it, I can make it. What really drove me to go through with Mori fashion is that one of its staples is knit and crocheted items, which is VERY convenient for me. What I don’t have or can’t buy I can in fact make myself, and its liberating to think the cabled cowl jacket or capelet is mine.
4. The whimsy: What else can you feel when you realize you can be a real life fairy?
5. the challenge: this is really making me think and push. If I hadn’t rekindled a love for mori girl fashion I wouldn’t be trying to make more shapely items such as vests and coats, or try to make different textures in the simplest ways. It’s a puzzle to me and I love puzzles.

5- name 5 things you dislike about mori girl.

1. It takes some effort to look for a lot of items, especially as an urbanite with a jean and sweat majority wardrobe.
2. because I like adding new elements I just cannot look 100 percent Mori Girl every single day.
3. I get so focused on the knit crochet and hair elements I forget about other parts. Out of all my outfits I only have one complete mori girl outfit.
4. I don’t always have the money to spare to get a new type of anything, even the yarn for the items I want.
5. An important element of mori girl is layering. I am lucky that it is cold, but in the summer it is not always practical to wear the heavy stuff. Id have to have an assortment for all seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment